Business Regulations

Registering a business

Businesses are created by the Companies Act 61 of 1973, as amended, which is the machinery that enables the company to be formed for lawful purposes.

Business registrations are done through The Companies and Intellectual Property Commission (CIPC), accessible on line at www.cipc.co.za

There are generally 5 types of companies:

  • A private company generally referred to as a "Pty" (Proprietary Limited Company),
  • A Public Company (Ltd),
  • A Section 21 Company or company not for gain,
  • An external Company (foreign company registered in South Africa),
  • An incorporated Company
  • Other formations:
    • - A close corporation
    • - A co-operative business

Registration procedures and application forms are obtainable at:
Tel: +27 (0) 12 394 9973
Call Centre: 0860 100 2472
Email: info@cipc.co.za

Tax registration

Compliance with South African tax laws, tax registration and revenue is done by the South African Revenue Services (SARS):
National Contacts: 0800 00 72 77
International contacts: +27 11 602 2093
Website: www.sars.gov.za

Local Tax Office (Richards Bay)

Region: KwaZulu-Natal
E-mail address: contact.east@sars.gov.za
Tel: 0800 00 7277
Fax : +27 31 328 6018
Physical address:
Shop 12, The Bay Centre Mall
Richards Bay

Development Finance Institutions

IDC : Industrial Development Corporation  www.idc.co.za
KZN Growth Fund: www.kzngrowthfund.co.za
NEF: National Empowerment Fund (for local equity partners finance)  www.nefcorp.co.za

Venture Capitalist

Private Equity and Venture Capital providers are available in South Africa.
For more information: www.savca.co.za/fullmembers/default.aspx

or contact Investec:
Tel: +27 11 268 0041
Fax: +27 11 268 0527
Email: info@savca.co.za

Retail and Commercial Banks

The major banking groups are:
ABSA: www.absa.co.za
First National Bank: www.fnb.co.za
Nedbank: www.nedbank.co.za
Standard Bank: www.standardbank.co.za

Permits for Foreign Employees

The movement of people into South Africa is controlled by the country’s Immigration Amendment Act ( No. 9 0f 2004). The following documents will be facilitated through the Department of Home Affairs (DHA):
Visas, Temporary Residence and Permanent residence permits, Business permits, Work permits, Corporate permits, Study permits, Exchange permits, Quota Work / Exceptional Skills Work, Intra-company transfer work permit (it allows multi-national companies to deploy employees from other countries to work in their South African offices for a period of four years.)

DHA contacts

National call center: 0800 601 190
International callers: +27 11 461 9252
Email: csc@dha.gov.za

Employment Regulations

The Department of Labour is in charge of all employment related matters regulated by the Labour Relations Act click here
For more information please contact:
The Department of Labour
Tel: +27 31 366 2006
Fax: +27 31 366 2300
Email webmaster@labour.gov.za